As part of efforts to grow its market share in activewear and attract more millennial shoppers aged between 13 and 30, Macy’s will expand its athletic apparel assortment into more stores this fall.
The retailer is also introducing Helly Hansen activewear for men in 30 Macy’s stores and women’s into 25 stores, with prices ranging from $30-$350.
The move comes after Macy’s last month said it was strengthening its activewear focus by teaming up with Lids Sports Group to open licensed team merchandise departments in Macy’s stores under the name of Locker Room by Lids.
The retailer also said it was boosting its activewear assortments with the addition of athletic footwear supplied in partnership with Finish Line.
Macy’s said the roll-out will create a more “prominent active footprint” within its brick-and-mortar and online stores.
“As we continue challenging ourselves to better serve the evolving needs of Macy’s current and future customers, it became clear that active apparel presented an opportunity for growth,” said chief merchandising officer Jeff Gennette.
“Our customer insights show that our millennial customers have significant crossover in shopping active where we have the assortment, so we believe that satisfying his and her total lifestyle must involve more fashion and function in our active offerings.”
- Nike activewear for men, boys and girls will be available in 650 stores, while women’s and infants will be in 240 stores. Prices will range from US$25-350.
- The North Face products will feature in 130 stores across men’s, women’s, boys, girls and infants for between $45 and $470.
- Under Armour products will be available in 70 stores in men’s and 50 in women’s and boys. Prices will range from $23-75.
- CK Performance-branded women’s activewear will be in 385 stores for between $25 and $99.
- Ideology women’s apparel will feature in 400 stores and prices will range from $20-68.
For more fashion and apparel industry news, go to just-style.com